Re: Linked Data Dogfood circa. 2013

One might just simply stay silent and move along, but i take a few
seconds to restate the obvious.

It is a fact that Linked data as " publish some stuff and they will
come, both new publishers and consumers" has failed.

The idea of putting some "extra energy" would simply be useless per se
BUT it becomes  wrong when one tries to involve others e.g. gullible
newcomers,  fresh ph.d students who trust that "hey if my ph.d advisor
made a career out of it, and EU gave him so much money it must be real
right?"

IAs community of people who claim to have something to do with
research (and not a cult) every once in a while is learn from the
above lesson and devise NEW methods and strategies. In other words,
move ahead in a smart way.

I am by no mean trowing all away.

* publishing structured data on the web is already a *huge thing* with
schema.org and the rest. Why? because of the clear incentive SEO.
* RDF is a great model for heterogeneous data integration and i think
it will explode in (certain) enterprises (knowledge intensive)

What we're seeking here is more advanced, flexible uses of structured
data published, e.g. by smart clients, that do useful things for
people.
The key is to show these clients, these useful things. What other
(realistic) incentive can we create that make people publish data? how
would a real "linked data client" work and provide benefit to a real
world, non academic example class of users (if not all?) .

my wish for 2013 about linked data is that the discussion focuses on
this. With people concentrated on the "full circle, round trip"
experience, with incentives for all (and how to start the virtuous
circle).

Gio