RE: Help with modeling my ontology

Luca,

The W3C data cube approach seems quite simple for what is actually a highly complex problem, in its generality.

If your crop ontology is suitably concrete and specific though, you may be able to avoid all sorts of modelling issues, since they can be compressed into accepted definitions from your value lists.

For reference, the LIDO XML schema is meant to be able to communicate measurements of any physical object (yes, that's ANY physical object... and quite likely some "virtual" objects too...) and it uses the familiar 3-strand structure:

measurementsSetComplexType (complex type)
Definition: The dimensions or other measurements for one aspect of the item.

Sequence:

measurementType ( lido:textComplexType 1-unbounded)
Definition: Indicates what kind of measurement is taken.
How to record: Data values for type: height, width, depth, length, diameter, circumference, stories, count, area, volume, running time, size.Repeat this element only for language variants.

measurementUnit ( lido:textComplexType 1-unbounded)
Definition: The unit of the measurement.
How to record: E.g. cm, mm, m, g, kg, kb, Mb or Gb.Repeat this element only for language variants.

measurementValue ( lido:textComplexType 1)
Definition: The value of the measurement.
How to record: Whole numbers or decimal fractions.

...but added to that you can specify rather a few other aspects...

extentMeasurements (0-unbounded)
Definition: An explanation of the part of the object / work being measured included, when necessary, for clarity.
How to record: Example values: overall, components, sheet, plate mark, chain lines, pattern repeat, lid, base, laid lines, folios, leaves, columns per page, lines per page, tessera, footprint, panel, interior, mat, window of mat, secondary support, frame, and mount
Attribute lido:sortorder

qualifierMeasurements (0-unbounded)
Definition: A word or phrase that elaborates on the nature of the measurements of the object / work when necessary, e.g. when the measurements are approximate.
How to record: Example values: approximate, sight, maximum, larges, smallest, average, variable, assembled, before restoration, before restoration, at corners, rounded, framed, and with base.
Attribute lido:sortorder

formatMeasurements (0-unbounded)
Definition: The configuration of an object / work, including technical formats. Used as necessary.
How to record: Example values: Vignette, VHS, IMAX, and DOS
Attribute lido:sortorder

shapeMeasurements (0-unbounded)
Definition: The shape of an object / work. Used for unusual shapes (e.g., an oval painting).
How to record: Example values: oval, round, square, rectangular, and irregular.
Attribute lido:sortorder

scaleMeasurements (0-unbounded)
Definition: An expression of the ratio between the size of the representation of something and that thing (e.g., the size of the drawn structure and the actual built work).
How to record: Example values for scale: numeric (e.g., 1 inch = 1 foot), full-size, life-size, half size,monumental. and others as recommended in CCO and CDWA. Combine this tag with Measurement Sets for numeric scales. For measurementsSet type for Scale, use "base" for the left side of the equation, and "target" for the right side of the equation).
Notes: Used for studies, record drawings, models, and other representations drawn or constructed to scale.

Attribute lido:sortorder

[ref: http://www.lido-schema.org/schema/v1.0/lido-v1.0-schema-listing.html]