Re: Content negotiation for Turtle files

I feel we should be crisp about these things.
Its not a question of thinking of what things kind of tend
to enhance interoperability, it is defining a protocol
which 100% guarantees interoperability.

Here are three distinct protocols which work,
ie guarantee each client can understand each server.

A) Client accepts various formats including RDF/XML.
  Server provides various formats including RDF/XML.

B) Client accepts various formats including RDF/XML AND turtle.
  Server provides  various formats including either RDF/XML OR turtle.

C) Client accepts various formats including turtle.
  Server provides  various formats including turtle.

These may not ever have been named.
The RDF world used A in fact for a while, but the
Linked Data Platform at last count was using C.
Obviously B has its own advantages but I think that
we need lightweight clients more than we need lightweight
servers and so being able to build a client without an
XML parser is valuable.

Obviously there is a conservative middle ground D in
which all clients and servers support both formats,
which could be defined as a practical best practice,
but we should have a name for, say, C.

We should see whether the LDP group will define
a word for compliance with C.  I hope so, and then
we can all provide that and test for it.

Tim