Re: Content negotiation for Turtle files

Hi all,

Fascinating thread, all arguments being quite valid and it seems it all
depends on what you want to achieve with Linked data.

I was about to write a lengthy text to explain my view, but I'll start with
a table to save time and improve readibility:

 *You are..*

*Human*

*Machine*

*You want to…*

*Write data*

Turtle

RDF/XML, JSon, Ntriples

*Read data*

HTML , *Turtle*

RDF/XML, JSon, Turtle, Ntriples

 *Turtle*: like Kingsley pointed many times, it's easy write at hand. Like
Richard pointed, users should use a decent editor, with syntax checking,
possibilities to import objects, classes, properties etc.. easily, maybe a
preview feature that would show a graphical view of the written graph.

However, if reading Turtle is possible, I don't think it's what users would
like in the end. With a plain Turtle file you get the meaning, but zero
usability. With so much interlinked data you want to browse, not to get
Turtle files one by one by manually concatenating the . It's like comparing
the RFC text files (example <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5646.txt>)
with the W3C recommandation pages (example <http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/>),
full of links, or something even more powerful, something like Graphity (my
company's data portal <http://data.nxp.com>).

I can't think of a situation where a machine would write Turtle.

*RDF/XML*: Not readable by humans. Since XML is quite common to store data,
the easiest way to product RDF from XML is to serialize RDF/XML. As pointed
earlier, it's so easy that some people produce millions of rubbish triples.
But don't blame the tool, crappy data was in MySQL DBs, in XML, and will be
in RDF too. Instead of banning or advising against using it, it would be
more productive to bring a light on the pitfalls, the most common mistakes
that a XML developer would make when producing RDF.

*JSON*: Not readable by humans. I'm not very familiar with Javascript
development. However I know enough to know that providing a JS developer
with JSon is a treat, certainly for reading, probably for writing too.

Best regards, and retro-thanks for all the previous threads!

Colin Maudry
@colinmaudry
Product Data Analyst
NXP Semiconductors