Re: Content negotiation for Turtle files

On 2/6/13 4:54 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Thanks all for your precious help!
>
> ... which takes me back to my first options, the ones I had set before
> looking at Vapour results which misled me - more below.
>
> AddType  text/turtle;charset=utf-8   .ttl
> AddType  application/rdf+xml    .rdf
>
> Plus Rewrite for html etc.
>
> I now get this on cURL
>
> curl -IL http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology
> HTTP/1.1 303 See Other
> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:28:45 GMT
> Server: Apache
> Location: http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology_v2.0.ttl
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:28:45 GMT
> Server: Apache
> Last-Modified: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:19:34 GMT
> ETag: "60172428-5258-4d50ad316b5b2"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
> ... to which Kingsley should not frown anymore (hopefully)
>
> But what I still don't understand is the answer of Vapour when
> requesting RDF/XML :
>
>   * 1st request while dereferencing resource URI without specifying
>     the desired content type (HTTP response code should be 303
>     (redirect)): Passed
>   * 2nd request while dereferencing resource URI without specifying
>     the desired content type (Content type should be
>     'application/rdf+xml'): Failed
>   * 2nd request while dereferencing resource URI without specifying
>     the desired content type (HTTP response code should be 200): Passed
>
> Of course this request is bound to fail somewhere since there is no
> RDF/XML file, but the second bullet point is confusing : why should
> the content type be 'application/rdf+xml' when the desired content
> type is not specified?
>
> And should not a "Linked Data validator" handle the case where there
> is no RDF/XML file, but only Turtle or n3?

Yes, in a nutshell. The RDF/XML specificity is a relic from the past :-)

> The not-so-savvy linked data publisher (me), as long as he sees
> something flashinf RED in the results, thinks he has not made things
> right, and is led to made blind tricks just to have everything green
> (such as contradictory mime type declarations).
>
> At least if the validator does not handle this case it should say so.
> The current answer does not help adoption of Turtle, to say the least!

Correct.

Anyway, the product is Open Source [1] so anyone can fix etc..

Links:

[1] https://bitbucket.org/fundacionctic/vapour/wiki/Home -- project home
page .

> Hoping someone behind Vapour is lurking here and will answer :)
>
> Thanks again for your time
>
> Bernard

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software