Re: FOAF Editor - was Re: WebID Frustration

Hi,
On 7 Aug 2013, at 17:47, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
 wrote:

> On 8/7/13 12:13 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> Thanks Kingsley.
>> Yeah, OK, you got me - anything is better than vi :-)
>> Trouble is, of course, many of my friends don't have text editors.
>
> Yes, but they have tools that already enable them work with plain text based content.

> The problem we (as a community) have is that we haven't quite recovered from the problems that RDF/XML brought to bear on this whole Semantic Web Project. Net effect, we sometimes assume that all RDF model oriented concrete syntaxes are as user-unfriendly as RDF/XML.
>
> Turtle is the antithesis of RDF/XML (triple scrambler!) because it makes triples visible. Thus, you'll find that your friends will be able to write Turtle using existing tools of choice. BTW -- If they can write long natural language sentences using these tools, they can certainly achieve the same results crafting concise Turtle based statements :-)
>
> I encourage you to try it out on them. I had to go through this very same process a few years ago while trying to figure out a simple way to unveil what Linked Data was all about.
I have done.
These friends are truly not interested in computers, never mind Linked Data - there are lots of people like that, you know!
They simply want the thing to what they want, and they want it to do it now.
And I often feel the same.

> All major Word Processors and Spreadsheets have the ability to save to plain text. The same applies to most HTML editors (and you don't need to get into Microdata, RDFa, or any of that) .
Yes, but Word is pretty crap for that - the number of warnings you get when you try it is truly scary!
And the capacity to screw up and have a file that doesn't work is high.
Yes, people can manage RDF if they want to - but a lot of people don't want to, and ignore me of I try.
They just want to do something (access my web site), and anything else is a distraction.
Something more restricted is appropriate here.
When I type this email I don't expect to type the headers by hand.
And shouldn't this be happening on the web?

> As you are clearly indicating, which is also my world view and experience, folks don't want apps forcefully sitting between them and their data. They want data and apps to be loosely coupled.
I wasn't saying that directly - it might be that the service I describe is best implemented that way, but it might not.
I really don't care how it is implemented - it is what it does.
I am very happy to use iTunes, and this Mailer, both of which have a very strong link.

"They" certainly don't care about the implementation - it is just about function.

best
Hugh