Re: Publication of scientific research

On 04/29/2013 09:02 PM, John Erickson wrote:
> Participants in this thread might be interested in/should be reminded
> of the recent "Beyond the PDF 2" #btpdf2 conference in Amsterdam; see
> the "Outcomes" page at: http://www.force11.org/outcomes
>
> I mention this partly because themes from that conference are emerging
> in this thread, and because some of the leading thinkers/workers in
> the areas mentioned here spoke there...

Hi John. I am aware of Force 11's efforts. And, nothing stops us from
tackling the main issue from different angles. And more people the
merrier. Most of us are more or less do agree on the main issue(s) and
intentions to find solutions, however, my feeling is that sometimes we
get lost in details on how to get there.

My position here was mostly that, technology is not the issue. We really
do have a number of solutions that's well more than good enough. If not,
we can make incremental improvements. Not rocket science. The problem is
really social. And some key people refraining from actually making the
change.

I made a simple proposal [1]. Zero direct responses. Why?

We don't need endless chatters, challenges, or papers about papers about
papers about papers talking how to make things better. Meetups, meetups,
meetups...

Actions speak louder than words.

All of the chatter is side-stepping the core issue, which is the
dependency on publisher's demands.

Without lifting that arbitrary and archaic requirement, we will forever
be at the mercy of the needs of their business. On top of that, we will
continually cry about open access issues or pay walls!

We need to be the ones that make the call on how to share our knowledge.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2013Apr/0359.html

-Sarven