Re: Performing instance data validation in a closed-world scenario

Hi Marcos,

I suggest you have a look at the SPIN-API that builds on SPARQL + OWL and
Jena. I use it a lot for UniProt and is very powerful for validating data
to a known schema or rules.
It also has build in OWL2-RL reasoner with optional closed world extensions
which is really helpfull.

http://www.spinrdf.org/

and how we use it at UniProt
http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-952/paper_2.pdf

Regards,
Jerven

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Marcos, Marta <Marta.Marcos@tso.co.uk>wrote:

> ** **
>
> Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> We are now in process to deliver a XML-based information publishing
> system, which captures much public information with heavy RDF/RDFa payload.
> We wish to create a set of OWL ontologies to model relevant knowledge, and
> then we are going to populate the knowledge model by creating different
> type of instances based on the ontology schema.****
>
> ** **
>
> Our goal is to be able to validate the consistency of those new instances
> against the knowledge model, in other words, we want to work with
> validating instance data in a closed-world scenario. Since we are going to
> use **Jena** as our underlying semantic framework, it seems natural to
> use ****Jena**** inference OWL capabilities to perform the validation.
> Given that we expect to handle some constructs that go beyond the support
> of Jena OWL reasoner (such as cardinality restrictions higher than 1 for
> object type properties), we are planning to extend ****Jena**** built-ins
> to implement our validation rules to deal with this casuistry.****
>
> ** **
>
> Does anybody have any advice on best practice or any lessons learned from
> previous experience when dealing with similar use cases? Any feedback would
> be much appreciated.****
>
> ** **
>
> Marta de Francisco
> The Stationery Office ****
>
> ** **

> This email is confidential and may also be privileged and/or proprietary
> to The Stationery Office Limited. It may be read, copied and used only by
> the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorised use of this email is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact us
> immediately and delete it and any copies you have made. Thank you for your
> cooperation.
>
> The Stationery Office Limited is registered in England under Company No.
> 3049649 at 1-5 Poland Street, London, W1F 8PR

Jerven Bolleman
me@jerven.eu