Re: Publication of scientific research

On 25-Apr-13, at 10:41 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
> Scientists would rather eat their dogs than give up their favoured
> editing environments.

And chew off their own (or their RA's) foot as well.

Most conference submission / reviewing software already asks for the
basic meta-data boilerplate to help the reviewing process (authors,
title, affiliation, etc...) and this is manually entered before the
paper is ready.

Why don't we generate the meta-data directly from this process and not
bother with the hand editing of anything? It would not be a stretch to
get people to submit their citations file (Bibtex, RIS, etc...) along
with the paper at camera ready and script the conversion to something
semantic web friendly?

This would neatly create the publications, citation and author graph
in a stroke.

> Solution 2. Make it valuable to the authors.

Outcome 1: Make it valuables to the social bookmarking / citation
websites downstream to load directly into their systems and increase
the visibility of the publication.

-rhw