Re: Publication of scientific research

On 4/24/13 3:39 PM, Daniel Schwabe wrote:
> On the other hand, efforts continue to at least provide metadata in RDF, which has been surprisingly harder to produce year after year without requiring hand coding and customization each time. But we will get there, I hope.
> Just my 2c...
Very important 2 cents :-)

Fear of crafting RDF by hand is the root of many problems. A long time
ago, it was a major problem thanks to  RDF/XML. Today, thanks to Turtle,
writing RDF by hand is short cut to demonstrating the fundamental
benefits of RDF based Linked Data.

Scribbling [1] is a pattern that's vital to the Web in general, sadly,
you can't really scribble HTML and you absolutely couldn't scribble
RDF/XML. Another important issue, somewhat forgotten, is the file
create, save, and share pattern.

In my experience, with our use of RDF based Linked Data in dog-food
manner [2][3], the combination of crafting Turtle based RDF documents by
hand and the file create, save, and publish pattern works wonders for
streamlining data publication, especially when you also factor in ACLs
based on URIs that denote Agents (e.g., WebID) .

To conclude, it is a new day and a new time for RDF. The problems the
RDF/XML introduced should really be behind us at this stage.
Unfortunately, many still conflate RDF/XML and RDF and in the process
end up dismissing its utility in general.

PDFs should at the very least be accompanied with RDF based metadata
with regards to scientific publications and event papers etc..

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/Zgw83a -- circa. 2007 presentation where TimBL talks
about scribbling pattern
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/ -- collection of Turtle
documents
3.
http://kingsley.idehen.net/about/html/http/virtuoso.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/Virtuoso7Offers.ttl
-- HTML based view of the RDF descriptions from one of the Turtle docs
4. http://bit.ly/RJzd9S -- old post about why Turtle is so important to
RDF based Linked Data (we need a simple notation that covers programmer
and non programmer profiles i.e., scribblers) .

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen