Re: predatory journals and conferences article in NY Times

It's high time universities stopped judging academics by *where* they
have published rather than *what*.

We already have a form of rating for journals. It's called impact
factor. It doesn't work, because judging papers by their place of
publication is nonsensical.

Linked data and semantic web technologies provide opportunities, I
think, to handle the metadata associated with scientific publication, to
represent the knowledge in academic publications, and to do so without
the necessity for a centralised authority.

But, then I am a researcher with a metanl narrow focus, so what do I
know?

Phil

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk