Re: List Etiquette - It isn't really fair

Hugh, you are correct and I would like to apologise for my part in that
as the main instigator.

On my side however, I found it difficult to see my statements
deconstructed and rearranged into various positions I never took and
that I very much disagree with [6], but yes, I still should have just
stated my position as clearly as possible and left it at that (why I
personally take exception to a claim like "SPARQL scales" is again
covered by [1-5]).

On the plus side though, perhaps some interesting discussion has arisen
out of this in various threads. (In particular, I found Leigh's comments
very much constructive.)

/Aidan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractable_problem

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-complete

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_homomorphism

[5] Jorge Pérez, Marcelo Arenas, Claudio Gutierrez: Semantics and
complexity of SPARQL. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 34(3) (2009)

[6] "XPath can replace SPARQL" (I never said that), "XPath is better
than SPARQL" (I said it was more scalable in the general case being
tractable and parallelisable), "XYZ is scalable and can do what SPARQL
does" (obviously nonsense if I hold that SPARQL doesn't scale in the
general case), "because implementation X cannot do Y, this proves the
SPARQL doesn't scale" (I never took this position; I was directly asked
for /examples/ and I gave the simplest ones I could think of; the proof
that SPARQL is not scalable [1-3] is in [5] above) ... and again, I do
like SPARQL a lot and I'm personally not a fan of anything XML, let
alone XPath. So now I'll shut up. :)