Re: COLD2012 Cost

Dear Avi,
Many thanks for your detailed message.
I don't consider any of your explanations wrong - as someone who has organised conferences I well know that $100 is likely to be a subsidised cost, and for the organisers, it is very helpful to be able to use the centralised systems, including underwriting.
I even understand that there may be deals with hotels that don't want people arriving for just two nights.
Although, the workshops do make the conference event more attractive, and so boost the number of delegates who stay the whole week, whatever the charging structure - it is a symbiotic relationship.

But your message really crystallises the issue for me:
If as you say, full cost accounting would mean it costs $500, then why not charge $500? - what could be simpler and fairer than that?
That would be $500 for only the workshop, or +$100 with the conference.
That's not not even asking for marginal costs.
But instead it is being charged at twice as much.
Essentially you are saying that if I chose to attend only COLD2012, in effect I would be subsidising the main conference, not the other way round.
I find that pretty amazing, if not actually outrageous.

Much as I would have fun at the conference, as I have in the past, I can't help but look at the costs:
a) workshop only "real": travel + $500 + 2 days subsistence (@ $200/day) = travel + $900
b) workshop only being charged: travel + $1050 + 2 days subsistence = travel + $1450
c) full conference as you suggest : travel + $1050 + 6 days subsistence = travel + $2250
Of course, for option c there is also the extra time spent away, along with any lost earnings from the extra 4 days.

But I also understand that this seems to have become the norm (I seem to recall it was the same with LOD at WWW), so I wasn't really having a go at you or even ISWC - hence it was more just a sigh.

I just think conferences should have transparency in the costs, and give delegates the freedom to choose.

I wish you a most successful event - it looks really great.
Best
Hugh