Re: Deserted Island Sem Web reading list

thanks for the v interesting thread

a very good characterization of how humanity is being polarized

on the one hand, the smart, connected, technowise elites (in some cases
possibly paid for by public money) who cannot  envisage how everyone else
can be  so behind ,

rant
I travel a lot, in remote regions and countries, and happen to witness on a
daily basis the #real world# (aka, not in the IT lab)
I am in the desert island more often than not,
however, Mike -
me thinks that pressure should be made to put people online, to make
internet and free computers available

delivering the resources offline may well be a great idea, but its temporary
things change too fast, and  people will always stay behind if they are not
online
and do not ride the wave of things that evolve in real time
EU, governments should fund internet and equipment and learning of new
technologies as a free public service, available to anyone wishing to
learn,  perhaps, rather than only sponsoring the development of a few
rocket scientists  :-)
offline is acceptable , provided it is a short term temporary measure
because things can happen online in real time and we dont want only a few
connected few to be able to participate in them
the other great barrier, I find , is language
lots of stuff being done, including the SW, is in English

governments should provide to all the opportunity to learn English and get
online
end of rant

http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com