 From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: public-lod@w3.org
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Linked Data Adoption Challenges Poll

On 9/13/12 4:20 PM, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program wrote:

I DID see the first line, but correct me if I am wrong, what is more important to adoption of Linked Data, the purely technical aspects or the broader issues of the underlying infrastructures?  E.g. Dublin Core addresses metadata issues which have obvious links to the issues I stated earlier.

>The underlying infrastructures deal with issues like open access, standards, open source software, open science and online education which requires open online libraries. Now all of these have to be available in local national languages.
>

>So the question is not ONLY nuts and bolts layers superimposed on the existing internet infrastructure.
>

>This dichotomy in thinking is at the heart of many misconceptions about how ICT infrastructures in developing countries can be improved upon.
>

>So the survey of purely technical aspects is a necessary but not sufficient exercise in determining the adoption criteria for linked data.

Maybe, but for now, I want to focus the poll on specific issues
    affecting those that are in a position to try or want to try. As for
    the issue with ICT challenged countries, I am looking into specific
    initiatives targeting such regions e.g., linked open data and
    government etc.. ..

Kingsley

>Milton Ponson
>GSM: +297 747 8280
>PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
>Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
>Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
>
>This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
          whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in
          error please notify the system manager. This message contains
          confidential information and is intended only for the
          individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
          should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

>________________________________

                of the poll I see the following as infrastructure
                components:

>1. DNS Server
>2. Web Server.
>
>Please understand that the Semantic Web technology stack
                is still fundamentally about HTTP driven data access and
                integration. Thus, I struggle to see how it might
                exacerbate existing computing infrastructure challenges
                across nations with poor ICT infrastructure.

>>The biggest hurdles to acceptation and adoption are not purely technical or conceptual, but of access to general ICT infrastructure and in particular open access to repositories.
>What makes this specific to Linked Data, beyond the
                issues already outlined in the poll ?

>>How about a global survey of preconditions and criteria for adoption of linked data and semantic web technologies?
>>
>Linked Data, Semantic Web etc. are all about HTTP based
                data access, representation, integration, and
                dissemination.

>Kingsley
>

>>Milton Ponson
>>GSM: +297 747 8280
>>PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
>>Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
>>Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
>>
>>This email and any files transmitted with it are
                      confidential and intended solely for the use of
                      the individual or entity to whom they are
                      addressed. If you have received this email in
                      error please notify the system manager. This
                      message contains confidential information and is
                      intended only for the individual named. If you are
                      not the named addressee you should not

                        data about issues that folks find most
                        challenging re., Linked Data Adoption.

>>Please cast your vote as the results will be
                        useful to all Linked Data stakeholders.