 From: Giuseppe Rizzo <giuseppe.rizzo@eurecom.fr>
To: public-lod@w3.org
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:49 AM
Subject: [ANN] NERD - Named Entity Recognition and Disambiguation v0.5 released

Dear all,

We would like to announce a major upgrade of NERD - a Named Entity Recognition and Disambiguation framework (http://nerd.eurecom.fr). The NERD framework unifies the annotation of 10 entity extractors (http://nerd.eurecom.fr/documentation#extractors) using the NERD ontology (http://nerd.eurecom.fr/ontology) which provides a rich set of axioms aligning the taxonomies of these extractors. The NERD ontology is composed of two layers: a core layer of 10 main classes, based on a core schema used by the NLP community, and an extended layer composed of 75 classes which correspond to more fine-grained entity types that these extractors can recognize.

In this release, we have better aligned the classification provided by the extractors. Furthermore, we provide a so-called "combined strategy" that enables to launch all extractors while having a conflict resolution mechanism. NERD can harmonizes the annotation of documents written in English, French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian, German, and Dutch. NERD automatically detects the language of the documents, selects and finally harmonizes the annotations of the extractors. The NERD framework enables the annotations of web resources, plain texts, and SRT timed-text documents so that video subtitles can also be annotated. The new User Interfaces features a personalized dashboard where a registered user can easily monitor his activity log, and get preliminary statistics about its NERD usage.

HOW TO USE NERD?
* The NERD User Interface is at http://nerd.eurecom.fr
* NERD comes also with a REST interface http://nerd.eurecom.fr/api that requires an API KEY. You can both use CLI (command line interface) or java & python libraries. More details at http://nerd.eurecom.fr/documentation.

HOW TO GET YOUR API KEY?
* From the NERD UI, go to the profile item menu (top right corner arrow, click on profile). Then fill up the form and click on the <Get Your API KEY> button.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
We would like to especially thank AlchemyAPI, DBpedia Spotlight, Extractiv, Lupedia, OpenCalais, Saplo, SemiTags, Wikimeta, Yahoo! Content Analysis, and Zemanta and personally people from these organizations: Pablo Mendes (from DBpedia Spotlight), Eric Charton (from Wikimeta), Shaun Roach (from AlchemyAPI), Andraz Tori (from Zemanta), Mattias Tyrberg and Fredrik Horte (from Saplo), Pavel Mihaylov and Marin Dimitrov (Ontotext, Lupedia), Nicolas Torzec and Reiner Kraft (from Yahoo) with whom we had discussions and received very valuable feedbacks on earlier versions of NERD.

Many thanks to the early adopter community of NERD users for your feedback and energetic support. We would like to especially thank: Sebastian Hellmann, Yunjia Li, Marieke van Erp, Pierre Antoine Champin, Olivier Aubert, Ruben Verborgh, Vuk Milicic, and Jose Luis Redondo for their contributions to the codebase.

This release of NERD was partly supported by the French National Agency through the project OpenSEM - Open Innovation Platform for Semantic Media (http://www.opensem.eu/) - and the European Commission through the project LinkedTV - Television linked to the Web (http://www.linkedtv.eu/).

Happy harmonizing your annotations!

Cheers,
Giuseppe Rizzo & Raphael Troncy