Re: What is a WebID?

On 11/3/12 2:21 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>         At this point in time, should this definition hold, the
>>         hashless ProxyURIs that we use to watermark X.509
>>         certificates for holders of LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, G+
>>         etc.. accounts are all rendered non conforming, just like that.
>>
>>         Conclusion:
>>
>>         I am officially lodging my opposition to this definition of a
>>         URI that serves as a WebID.
>>

>>     Kingsley, I share you concerns.
>>
>>     It's important to note that this is primarily a branding issue
>>     rather than technical.
>
>     You don't use branding to diminish. It's supposed to enhance.
>
>     The effect of this so-called branding is negative.
>>
>>     We've changed brand before, namely from FOAF+SSL to WebID.
>
>     FOAF != compromising URI opacity (which is major degradation of
>     AWWW and its architectural dexterity) .
>

>>     Personally, I find it hard to weigh the pros vs cons of this
>>     decision.  But I do think having an agreed consensus of what
>>     terms means (eg identity vs authentication protocol) is a plus.
>
>     Its a major minus.
>

>>     I was also horrified to learn that I didnt have a webid anymore,
>>     but got it serving turtle via conneg within an hour, and as a
>>     direct result could log in to my profile again!
>
>     Turtle utility isn't in question. That doesn't mean WebIDs, Hash
>     URIs, and Turtle docs == savvy WebID branding. It simply isn't.
>
>     The game isn't about formats and syntax. It's about entity
>     relationship semantics and logic. Notations for expressing entity
>     relationship graphs and across-the-wire serialization formats
>     don't need to be distractions. Conflation has never worked as a
>     branding mechanism. Look at the history before you:
>
>     1. RDF - data model + notation + serialization formats conflation
>     2. SPARQL - query language + query dispatch and results retrieval
>     protocol + query results serialization formats
>     3. Linked Data - data representation and data access mechanism
>     that RDF community sees as RDF re-branding
>     4. and now WebID -- pattern to be repeated by this new repetition
>     of the broken branding DNA.
>
>     Appreciation and adoption of all the items above are stunted by
>     the confusing effects of conflation based branding.
>
>     HTML isn't why the WWW took off, that's a misconception. It took
>     off because a browser provided a mechanism for understanding
>     hypertext and documents, at internet scale. This all happened
>     because of the "view source" pattern where folks copied and pasted
>     the code behind these pages which lead to "instant gratification"
>     etc..
>
>     Forcing a format on folks in any guise is broken by way of
>     unnecessary distraction. This is about semantics, not syntax!
>

> I appreciate all the points above and grok the value of modularity and
> universality as the key advantages of the web.
>
> At the end of the day, im personally interested in technology that
> works, and have less of a strong opinion on what it is called.  The
> tech hasnt changed, just a slightly different way of delivering the

We denote things for a reason. Names matter.

At this point, the broken definition of WebID has rendered a majority of
existing WebIDs non compliant. The logic behind this prescription is
mind boggling. Look, this entire endeavor is about to hit a brick wall
for no reason whatsoever.

You don't need to compromise URI opacity for anything or anyone. Period!

Kingsley