Re: Google Knowledge Graph Experiment

On 5/18/12 1:41 PM, Eric Franzon wrote:
> Although, really, if TimBL doesn't yet see anything as he just
> reported, that may shoot the "influence" hypothesis right out of the
> water. ;)

Quite the contrary, you over simplify :-) That's a little more inline
with my theory i.e., release the service via nodes that will celebrate
rather that scrutinize etc..

"Stings to Things that are Nameless" != Linked Data and the Semantic
Web. Thus, what's TimBL got to celebrate about such an effort? If I was
in Google's shoes, he would be the last person I would want scrutinizing
Google Knowledge Graph, seriously!

Kingsley

> [...]
>     play in the algorithm. While my ego might certainly wish to
>     believe that I (and semanticweb.com <http://semanticweb.com>) have
>     such influence, I acknowledge that Danny Sullivan, Kara Swisher,
>     et al probably have more in the broader tech world. ;-)
>
>     Of course, if Google would mention "Semantic Web" in their
>     marketing material or acknowledge any of the other work that has
>     come before, that would no doubt help with the "influence" of all
>     of us on these lists. But I digress... for more on /that/
>     perspective, you may wish to see Sean Golliher's editorial which
>     will be published at SemanticWeb.com at the top of the next hour
>     (2:00pm ET in the US).
>
>     Cheers,
>     --Eric
>

>     On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org
>     <mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>         Well... I tried this trick, but does not change a thing. Yes,
>         the search happens on www.google.com <http://www.google.com>,
>         but I presume it knows that I am, hm, considered as Dutch and
>         sticks to its guns: I see nothing of the GKG on my screen.
>
>         Ivan
>
>         On May 18, 2012, at 17:57 , Aidan Hogan wrote:
>
>         > All,
>         >
>         > On 18/05/2012 05:51, Eric Franzon wrote:
>         >> Actually, some modest testing has shown something other
>         than geography at play here. Earlier today, colleagues in
>         London and California were able to see GKG rich data
>         visualizations, while others in the US (myself included --
>         also in California) and Europe could not.
>         >>
>         >> I spoke to a Google representative this afternoon who
>         confirmed the gradual roll-out, but would not (or could not)
>         discuss the algorithm. He did hint that people with Google
>         accounts will be first to see the enhancements.
>         >
>         > In my experience, the most reliable way to see GKG in action is:
>         >
>         > Visit http://google.com/ncr
>         > (the "/ncr" suffix stops you redirecting to a local version)
>         >
>         > Be logged in with a Google account.
>         >
>         > Try a typical entity search (e.g., "Galway").
>         >
>         > Cheers,
>         > Aidan
>

>         ----
>         Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
>         Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
>         mobile: +31-641044153 <tel:%2B31-641044153>
>         FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf
>

>     --
>     *Eric Axel Franzon*
>     Vice President of Community
>     SemanticWeb.com
>     6080 Center Dr., 6th Floor
>     Los Angeles, CA 90045
>
>     eric@semanticweb.com <mailto:eric@semanticweb.com>
>     O: +1.323.856.1474 <tel:%2B1.323.856.1474>
>     C: +1.323.309.1601 <tel:%2B1.323.309.1601>

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen