How does one indicate partial results for deferenced RDF URI? (was DBpedia: limit of triples)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I never saw an answer to the first
question here. (I'm not interested in DBpedia so much as the general
case).

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Basil Ell <basil.ell@kit.edu> wrote:

> I wonder about the limit of triples when accessing DBpedia URIs:
>
>  $ rapper -c "http://dbpedia.org/resource/Netherlands"
>  rapper: Parsing URI http://dbpedia.org/resource/Netherlands with parser
> rdfxml
>  rapper: Parsing returned 2001 triples
>
> When I access that URI by browser I receive the complete data, this means
> that machines are underprivileged
> whereas they are the ones that are capable of processing the amount of data
> instead of human users.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to:
>  1) whenever such a limit is applied to return a triple that states that a
> limit has been applied,
>     then the machine knows that it does not know everything there is to know

Clearly there are going to be cases where an RDF generator is going to
be unable to return complete results due to resource constraints.
What should happen in that case?  Should it return an error and no
results?  Partial results along with some kind of alternate status
indicating that they are partial results?  Something else?

What spec should I look in to find the form of the partial results
indicator (assuming there is such a beast)?

Tom