RE: [http-range14] Definition of the Dereferencing URI

Thank you Yang, this made a long, confusing thread much clearer to me.

As I understand it, we're talking about a data model with 2 classes:

1.       Stuff on the web;

2.       Everything else.

You can get 1. via http. It's quite easy to spot this stuff; it's broadly any stuff with a W3C spec (including stuff implied within that e.g. character data).

You can't get 2., but you can use a http URI to identify it as a convenient fiction. This is all the other stuff without a W3C spec.

[incidentally, both 1. and 2. are real-world objects; unless you're telling me that the web isn't in the real world? Also, not everything on the web is a document. This is a bit nit-picking though ;)]

OK, so the confusion sets in because you can identify a 1. which is about (or otherwise related to) a 2.

Standard practice must be to always put some redirection at a URI for a 2. which

a)      Points out that "you have reached the end of the web";

b)      Tells you about the 2. and/or its relations to other things (they could be 1. or 2. because according to this practice you'll just keep going til you get back to a 1.)

Is that the same problem that's been discussed here the last few days?

Cheers,

Michael