Re: NIR SIDETRACK Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 20:51 -0400, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
> >[ . . . ] But then we would also have to define what 'content' and
> 'description' meant. I have a feeling that might prove just as
> slippery and ultimately unhelpful as 'information resource'.

Agreed.  As long as there's an attempt to define a difference between
the two, we'll be mired in the same impossible

> I disagree. I've been able to reverse engineer a semantics [1] for
> 'content' that matches the original RDF design (for metadata, [2]) and
> what I think was *intended* by httpRange-14(a). The 'information
> resource' definition is just really unactionable; perhaps reparable
> but I don't think repairing it would help much since that's not even
> the issue.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/ir/latest/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-rdf-syntax-971002/

A semantics for 'content'?  That's not at all what I read in [1].  Did
you mean to reference some other document?  I think [1] describes an
excellent way to formalize what it means to write an assertion about an
information resource (though it's called a "generic information entity"
in that document instead of "information resource").  But it only uses
the term 'content' three times in the body, and only in passing.  And it
*never* defines the term.  In what sense do you think it defines a
semantics for 'content'?

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/