Re: Problem beyond the design decision of HttpRange-14

On 3/29/12 5:47 PM, Yang Squared wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> No matter what is the final design decision of the HttpRange-14, I
> think another problem we may need to address is how to explain to
> the data publisher that they need two URIs to publish a data and its
> description. In the original document Cool URIs for Semantic Web, it
> only explained what to do, but not why we need to do it.
>
> Unlike the Web, when publishing a webpage, we get immediate results
> and benefits, it may not have clear incentive to web-masters to
> implement so many extra things to serve their data with two URIs.
>
> How can we determine that W3C has the best design decision of the
> HttpRange-14? The solution needs to solve the fundamental cases (to
> enable publishing metadata of the webpage, a data and its description
> etc), compatible with the existing web architecture, meanwhile having
> minimum impact on existing published links. But I think most
> importantly, the solution need to be simple to be adopted.
>
> I have done some preliminary evaluation work on the social adoption of
> the existing linked data publishing mechanisms, we found that there is
> relatively high error rate in publishing of the Linked Data.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4138729/paper/dereference_iswc2011.pdf  We
> then implemented a validator http://www.hyperthing.org/ to demonstrate
> the concept.
>
> I hope this helps to make the new design decision,
> Yang Yang
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> Web and Internet Science
>
> Room 3027 EEE Building
>
> Electronics and Computer Science
>
> University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ
>
> Tel: +44(0)23 8059 8346 <tel:%2B44%280%2923%208059%208346>
>
> twitter: @yang_squared <http://twitter.com/#%21/yang_squared>

Yang,

A few comments that will aid users of your cool utility:

Currently you state:
Hyperthing tells whether your requested URI is a thing or a document.

What about something along the lines of:
Hyperthing tells whether your description subject has an unambiguous name.

The for results, you currently state:
The requested URI http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee identifies
a Real World Object (a Thing).

What about something along the lines of:
The de-reference URI http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee
identifies unambiguously names a description subject.

Ultimately, use works reflecting your own voice. But, conceptually, its
important to let the users understand that URIs are identifiers,
consistently.

The Real World Object distinction is ultimately confusing since every
existing resource on the Web has URL that servers as its name. And a
description oriented document can describe anything be it real-world or
Web medium based.

Cool utility, we need more of these!

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software