Re: httpRange-14 Change Proposal

Jeni Tennison wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> Yes, that's correct. With no constraining Accept headers, it could alternatively return HTML with embedded RDFa with a <link rel="describedby"> element, for example.

Is that universally true?

Suppose /uri identified a PDF formatted ebook, or a digital image of a
monkey in JPEG format, or even an RDF document.

Question A:

Currently we have:
  <http://example.org/uri> - a JPEG image of a monkey.

When you issue a GET on that URI the server currently responds
   200 OK
   Link: <http://example.org/uri-documentation>; rel="describedby"

So under this new proposal, the server can return the contents of
/uri-documentation with a status of 200 OK for a GET on /uri?

If yes, this seems like massively unexpected functionality, like a
proposal to treat "Accept: some/meta-data" like a DESCRIBE verb, and
seems to exaggerate the URI substitution problem (as in /uri would be
taking as naming the representation of /uri-documentation).

If no, where's the language which precludes this? (and how would that
language go, given that it's exactly the same protocol flow and nothing
has changed - other than the reader presuming that /uri now identifies
something that does have a representation that can be transferred over
HTTP vs identifying something that doesn't have a representation that
can be transferred over HTTP).

Question B:

How would conneg work, and what would the presence of a Content-Location
response header mean? Would HTTPBis need to be updated?

Question C:

Currently 303 "indicates that the requested resource does not have a
representation of its own that can be transferred by the server over
HTTP", and the Link header makes it clear that you are dealing with two
different things (/uri and /uri-documentation), but where does this
proposal make it clear at transfer protocol level that the
representation included in the http response is a representation of
another resource which describes the requested resource (rather than it
being as the spec defines "a representation of the target resource")?

> Either way, there is no implication that what you've got from http://example.org/uri is the content of http://example.org/uri (or that http://example.org/uri identifies an information resource), but there is an implication that what you get from http://example.org/uri-documentation is the content of http://example.org/uri-documentation (and that http://example.org/uri-documentation is an information resource).

Sorry I don't follow, how is there an implication from a 200 OK for
<uri-a> that it's not an IR and for <uri-b> that it is an IR?

If there was a Set of all Things (Set-A), then that set would have two
sets, "the set of all things which can be transferred via a transfer
protocol like HTTP" (Set-B), and then everything else (Set-C) which
comprises Set-A minus Set-B. As far as I can tell, the one thing that
determines whether something is a member of the Set-B or Set-C, for
HTTP, is that 200 OK in response to a GET, hence why we need the 303.

This proposal appears to try and override that "rule" (fact) by saying
let the content of a representation define what is a member of Set-B or
Set-C, however the act of dereferencing itself is what determines
whether an identified thing is a member of Set-B, as Set-B is the set of
all things that can be dereferenced. Hence my confusion at this proposal.

Hope that makes sense, and that I've not totally misunderstood.

Best,