Re: {Disarmed} Re: See Other

On 28 March 2012 14:28, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> I can't find any apps (other than mine) that actually use this.
>
> Searching:
> Sindice:
> http://sindice.com/search?q=http://graph.facebook.com
> 40 (forty) results
> Bing:
> http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22http://graph.facebook.com/%22
> 8400 results
>
> I don't think this activity has actually set the world alight yet - people are quite excited from what you call the Structured Data point of view, but little or no Linked Data.
> And it has been around for a little while now.
> And my (unproven) hypothesis is that Sindice would be finding these links all over the place if Facebook had been encouraged to do it differently.
>
> I'm not knocking it - you are right - it is really great they have done it.
> But I think we could have helped them do it better.

I doubt the issue is 'help'.

A structured data description of a network of hundreds of million
people, ... but without the links, ... is kinda missing something.

At which point we're deep in privacy and oauth etc territory; it
wouldn't be proper, appropriate or polite to dump the social graph
fully public anyhow.  But a social network dataset without the network
isn't going to set the afire with excitement.

Even with FOAF where we got pretty substantial social graph datasets
(livejournal, my opera etc) in public since 2004 or so, ... frankly
very few managed to find interesting uses of that huge bulk of data.
And not because it was in rdf/xml or because there were bnodes. It's
much much harder to make compelling, useful apps with this stuff than
it is to make proof of concept demos.

Dan