Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 3/27/12 3:23 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> curl --trace-time -v http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/contents
>
> and it showed the result coming back in 59ms.
>
> When someone uses the identifier URI for the abstract concept of an
> item of legislation, there's no caching so the request goes right back
> to the server. I just tried:
>
> curl --trace-time -v http://www.legislation.gov.uk/id/ukpga/1985/67
What do you get for timing results when you compare:

curl --trace-time -v http://www.legislation.gov.uk/id/ukpga/1985/67

and

curl --trace-time -v
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/2009-09-01/data.rdf ?

I would expect the delta to be the overhead contributed by indirection
delivered via the 303 redirection heuristic.

 From my U.S. location I get the following results:

for: time curl -v
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/2009-09-01/data.rdf

real    0m1.117s
user    0m0.002s
sys    0m0.003s

for: time curl -v http://www.legislation.gov.uk/id/ukpga/1985/67

real    0m1.521s
user    0m0.002s
sys    0m0.003s

Also note, if you add wdrs:describedby relations to your RDF documents
the descripton subject URI or its descriptor document URL will work fine
i.e., existing Linked Data clients will ultimately end up in a
follow-your-nose friendly Linked Data graph. The relation in question is
a triple of the form:

<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/id/ukpga/1985/67> wdrs:describedby
<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/2009-09-01/data.rdf>

Here is placeholder URI for my suggestion:
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/id/entity/http/www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/2009-09-01/data.rdf
. If you make the change, reload using URL pattern:
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/2009-09-01/data.rdf?sponger:get=add&refresh=0

As for: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/contents, what about
a <link/> relation in its <head/> section that establishes
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/2009-09-01/data.rdf as an
alternative representation? You already have this sort of relation in
place as per the following entry:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/xml"
href="http://legislation.data.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/contents/data.xml" />

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com