Re: Document Action: 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Status Code 308 (Permanent Redirect)' to Experimental RFC (draft-reschke-http-status-308-07.txt)

Hi James,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM, James Leigh <james@3roundstones.com> wrote:
> Could this 308 (Permanent Redirect) give us a way to cache a probe URI's
> definition document location?
>
> An issue people have with httpRange-14 is that 303 redirects can't be
> cached. If we could agree to use a 308 response as a cache-able
> alternative to 303, we could reduce server load and speed client URI
> processing (by caching the result of a probe URI).

I'm missing how that would help, could you elaborate? The semantics of
that response code is that the resource has permanently moved, that
seems very different to a 303.

A strict reading and application of the rules would suggest that the
new URI should be considered a replacement of the original, so sameAs,
rather than "a description of".

L.