Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 27/03/2012 16:53, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 3/27/12 11:17 AM, Michael Smethurst wrote:
>> No sane publisher trying to handle a decent amount of traffic is gonna
>> follow the dbpedia pattern of doing it in one step (conneg to 303) and
>> picking up 2 server hits per request. I've said here before that the dbpedia
>> publishing pattern is an anti-pattern and shouldn't be encouraged
> Circa. 2006-2007, with Linked Data bootstrap via the LOD project as top
> priority, the goal was simple: unleash Linked Data in a manner that just
> worked. That meant catering for:
>
> 1. frameworks and libraries that send hash URIs over the wire
> 2. work with all browsers, no excuses.
>
> Linked Data is now alive and in broad use (contrary to many
> misconceptions to the contrary), there is still a need for slash URIs.
> This isn't a matter of encouragement or discouragement, its a case of
> what works for the project goals at hand. If slash URIs don't work then
> use hash URIs or vice versa. Platforms that conform to Linked Data meme
> principles should be able to handle these scenarios.
>
> BTW - Imagine a scenario where Linked Data only worked with one style of
> URI, where would we be today or tomorrow, re. Linked Data? Being
> dexterous and unobtrusive has to be a celebrated feature rather than a
> point of perpetual distraction.

My point wasn't about hashes or slashes or any style of uri. It was about
conflating 303s ((I can't give you that but) here's something that might be
useful) with conneg (here's the useful thing in the representation you asked
for). And about how not exposing the generic IR URI and not linking to it
imposes too high a penalty

Whether 303s are useful or not, there's a good and bad way to use them

Cheers
micheel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/