Re: What would break? Re: httpRange-14

Hi Kingsley,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> Leigh,
>
> Everything we've built in the Linked Data realm leverages the findings of
> HttpRange-14 re. Name/Address (Reference/Access) disambiguation. Our Linked
> Data clients adhere to these findings. Our Linked Data servers do the same.

By "we" I assume you mean OpenLink. Here's where I asked the original
question [1]. Handily Ian Davis published an example resource that
returns a 200 OK when you de-reference it [2].

I just tested that in URI Burner [3] and it gave me broadly what I'd
expect, i.e. the resources mentioned in the resulting RDF. I didn't
see any visible breakage. Am I seeing fall-back behaviour?

To answer your other question, I do understand the benefits that can
acrue from having separate URIs for a resource and its description. I
also see arguments for not always requiring both.

As a wider comment and question to the list, I'll freely admit that
what I've always done when fetching Linked Data is let my HTTP library
just follow redirects. Not to deal with 303s specifically, but because
that's just good user agent behaviour.

I've always assumed that everyone else does the same. But maybe I'm
wrong or in the minority.

Are people really testing status codes and changing subsequent
processing behaviour because of that? It looks like there's little or
no breakage in Sindice for example [3].

Based on Tim's comments he has been doing that, are other people doing
the same? And if you have to ask if we're not, then who is this ruling
benefiting?

Tim, could you share more about what application behaviour your
inferences support? Are those there to support specific features for
users?

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://www.mail-archive.com/public-lod@w3.org/msg06735.html