Re: owl:sameAs temptation

Hi Sarven

You might be interested by the way I've mapped the Geonames feature codes,
which are modelled as instances of a subclass of skos:Concept (hence OWL
individuals) to equivalent classes in other ontologies. See [1] and [2].

The rationale is that most of the time when you assert that a owl:Thing T
is "equivalent to" some owl:Class C, it means that being of rdf:type C is
equivalent to have T as a value of some "typing" property. For example
being an instance of the class "BlueThing" is equivalent to having "Blue"
as value of some "hasColor" property. This can be modelled as in [2] using
a owl:hasValue" restriction, avoiding the owl:sameAs temptation and keep
all your ontology in safe OWL-DL land, this way :

<owl:Class rdf:about="http://example.org/BlueThing">
      <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Blue Thing</rdfs:label>
      <owl:equivalentClass>
            <owl:Restriction>
                  <owl:onProperty
rdf:resource="http://example.org/hasColor"/>

                  <owl:hasValue rdf:resource="http://example.org/Blue"/>
            </owl:Restriction>
      </owl:equivalentClass>
</owl:Class>

<skos:Concept rdf:about="http://example.org/Blue">
      <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Blue</skos:prefLabel>
      <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="fr">Bleu</skos:prefLabel>
</skos:Concept>

Hope this helps

Bernard

[1] http://www.geonames.org/ontology/ontology_v3.01.rdf
[2] http://www.geonames.org/ontology/mappings_v3.01.rdf

--
*Bernard Vatant
*

*Mondeca**          **                   *
3 cité Nollez 75018 Paris, France
www.mondeca.com
Follow us on Twitter : @mondecanews <http://twitter.com/#%21/mondecanews>