 From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: public-lod@w3.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: Can we create better links by playing games?

On 6/20/12 6:40 PM, Martin Hepp wrote:
> Hi Kingsley:
> I am deeply convinced that GWAPs will remain an esoteric niche in Semantic Technology and the enthusiasm in the community for this is rather a sign for the strange mind setting. There are so many boring yet important tasks to be tackled, why do we always hop on the next buzzword leaving our old homework unfinished like nomads looking for new funding and publication topics?

I don't agree with your characterization. Remember, we want to attract
more Web developer and end-user profiles into this community. Thus, why
not give game developers good reasons to appreciate what Web-scale
linked data offers?

Again, a killer game driven by GoodRelations is waiting to happen. It
will more than likely also get a lot of folks employed too :)

> - Ontology Engineering for the Web: Not well understood, no established methods
> - Ontology Alignment: Still not up to the expectations
> - Web-scale Crawling and indexing of RDFa and Microdata: Nobody can do that as of today
> - Ontology learning from text: Still not up to the expectations
> - Community-based Ontology Engineering: Has not produced any significant ontologies by the participation of lay people

But these things can all happen if the scary distracting stuff is hidden
behind UI/UX. Gaming is one sure way of doing that. I don't have the
time to write or design a game just yet, but I will spare time and other
resources to anyone that's interested in exploiting Linked Data along
these lines, for sure.

Data Olympics is the ultimate game :-)

Link sent earlier by Melvin: http://vimeo.com/25681002 -- wonderful
presentation .