Re: Can we create better links by playing games?

On 6/20/12 1:13 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
> I'm all in favour of having good authentication processes, but I have to say I smiled at your suggestion that WebID is not complex compared with HTTP Auth..

It isn't complex to use, from an end-user view point. Get a WebID and
then use it. Simplest usecase, sign emails.

Development complexity, as is always the case, depends on your starting
point i.e., from scratch or reusing libraries, frameworks, and services
that already handle the grunt work.

> Anyone can find endless examples of how to use HTTP Authentication to access things like sameAs.org.

Okay, you are assuming the developer view point. And as stated above, it
depends on where you start.

> Any Google search will show you it is going to be something like
> curl --user name:password http://sameas.org/store/games/submit/

Digest Authentication doesn't work well with Linked Data FYN. It lacks
the granularity offered by WebID.

> And then the librarian or whoever it is can move on to doing the application, which is what they wanted to do, with the distraction of access mechanisms.

It's even easier with WebID if you use what already exists.

> Note that some of my users have never heard of RDF - sameAs does identity management for them, and returns something like JSON.

If you have to grok any of the above re. WebID then of course it isn't
complex. The great news is that you don't need to know anything about
any of that as an end-user. Just get a digital identity card and start
using it e.g., by using it send signed emails.

> Of course, as always, if someone who actually wants to use the service says they would prefer to use WebID, then I will probably allow it when I get a moment, but until then it is way down the list of importance.

Okay :-)

Kingsley