 From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: public-lod@w3.org
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Linked Data Business Models?

On 7/30/12 10:34 AM, Gannon Dick wrote:

Big Data did not grow to be Big Data by doing things like Big Data does them now.  Who are the "... other non eCommerce oriented behemoths" ?

I said:
"As far as I know, "Advertising" and "Surreptitious Personal Profile
    Data Wholesale" are the only models that have made a difference to
    the bottom lines of: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo! and other non
    eCommerce oriented behemoths."

As for Big Data growth, what does that mean? How are Big Data and
    the Linked Open Data Cloud or the combined effects of public and
    private Linked Data exploitation somehow distinct from Big Data?

Ultimately, folks will realize that Linked Data enables you do more
    with Big Data i.e., discover and share insights from Big Data
    spaces. It also enables ad-hoc querying over Big Data, across
    disparate data sources etc..

To conclude, its best to look at Linked Data (which is basically
    unadulterated Web essence) as a vehicle for making stuff associated
    with the Big Data buzzword much better. Otherwise, we're just back
    to the same old "cat and mouse" game re. the next great data silo
    disguised as something different via marketing buzz.

Kingsley

>________________________________

                      functional and scalable business models with
                      regards to Linked Data. I think its time for an
                      open discussion about this matter.

>>>It's no secret, I've never seen business models as
                      challenging Linked Data. Quite the contrary. That
                      said, instead of a dump from me about my
                      viewpoints on Linked Data models, how about
                      starting this discussion by identifying any non
                      "Advertising based business model" that have
                      actually worked on the Web to date.

>>>As far as I know, "Advertising" and "Surreptitious
                      Personal Profile Data Wholesale" are the only
                      models that have made a difference to the bottom
                      lines of: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo! and
                      other non eCommerce oriented behemoths.

>>>Based on the above, let's have a serious and frank
                      discussion about business models with the
                      understanding agreement that one size will never
                      fit all, ever, so this rule cannot be overlooked
                      re. Linked Data. Also remember, Business models
                      aren't silver bullets, they are typically aligned
                      with markets (qualified and quantified pain
                      points) and the evolving nature of tangible and
                      monetizable value.

>>>Hopefully, the floor is now open to everyone that
                      has a vested interest in this very important
                      matter :-)

>>I think we need a paid app store for the web
>>
>>Plenty of examples of people writing apps,
                      deploying them to mobile and making good revenue

>>Why should it not be as easy to deploy to 'The
                      Web'

>Great point!
>
>A webby application store driven by the likes of
                GoodRelations, FOAF Profiles, SIOC data spaces, WebID
                ACLs, and Payswarm is something that's missing re.
                poweful Linked Data showcase outside the realms of
                dataset publishing. Imagine if developers could produce
                Linked Data apps for desktops, notebooks, tables, and
                phones that were easy to discover, courtesy of the kind
                of serendipity inherent in Web-scale Linked Data meshes.
                Basically, you end up with something as simple as:

>Developer Activity:
>
>1. write app
>2. describe app -- using something as simple as a turtle
                document
>3. deploy app to a Web location -- e.g., dropbox or an
                ftp location
>4. ACL protect access to the app via WebID
>5. use WebID watermarked X.509 certificate as the
                license file which enforces terms of use
>6. announce app via a Tweet, G+, Facebook, LinkedIn
                post.

>Note: this system would be federated and endowed with a
                SPARQL endpoint giving developers the option to maintain
                their own app stores etc..
>In addition, existing App stores that offer APIs would
                be hooked into the system via wrapper / proxy services
                that produce Linked Data etc..

>Very cool idea!
>

>>>--
>>>
>>>Regards,