Re: Linked Data Business Models?

On 7/29/12 2:15 PM, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm going to deposit my use of linked data here and add some comments.
>
> please note, that i'm a one man company, but it's gonna be clearly
> visible that the use of linked data is very extensible.
> the promises from 1:n (sql) and SOA have been solved. i'm not going to
> write any api, outputting this or another xml, json or whatever format,
> that others (data consumers) will need to implement again on the other
> side.
>
> see this [1] visualization of my dataport. at the moment i have
>
> 1. vocabulary domain (which is very small at the moment, but is in
> preparation for being extended extensivly, i'm working on a common terms
> vocabulary for the last two years (OpenDirectory) with common simple
> terms. in preparation there's a categorization scheme (skos) for use
> with "good relations" and organizations [2] as well as an opensource
> thesaurus and a standards thesaurus.
> 2. organization domain, which will cover organizations in the field of
> semantic web / linked data
> 3. schema domain (ontologies and schemas)
> 4. business domain (with sioc wiki)
>
> if you take a look at the visualization, one can easily see the benefits
> of linked data. although i'm not producing data in the million triple
> range, i can add domains, subdomains and other things to my liking
> without even thinking about an api (silo or hurdle that other need to
> take)
>
> i'm simply going to extend my dataport as i see fit, combine all
> subdomains with each other, connect to other linked data sources..
>
> in other words i stopped programming for my domains and started
> organizing data...

+ 1000....

You've groked 'data programmability' via structured data. This is the
promised land sought by many a tech behemoth, for the last 40+ years of
modern silicon based computing.

BTW - there's a nice design issues document [1] from TimBL about the
principle of least power, simplicity etc.. that feed nicely into all of
this.

> btw. even my bookkeeping fits in that scheme, it will also be online
> (protected by webID) soon.

Yes, put more into the data and then use ACL based data access policies.
Again, this is where WebID and its authentication protocol are simply
killer solutions that make Linked Data exploitation even more powerful,
and viable.

> I DO NOT WORRY ABOUT DATA ANYMORE, this chapter is closed.
> now can use my energy to build a thesaurus about zen :)

+ 1000...

> I DO NOT WORRY ABOUT API ANYMORE.

+ 1000...

> sparql endpoint is in place.

Yep a super Web Service dimension that's solves the data access API
issue like no other. SQL has nothing like it at all. Luckily, via Linked
Data Views and SPARQL+SQL combos, you can exploit the best of both
worlds too.

> i even have an own template engine (JSP-Writer for OpenRDF Sesame)
> which fullfills all my needs.

Yep!

> I DO NOT WORRY ABOUT UPDATING MY DATA. since i all have it in one place,
> i also only need to edit it in one place. see here for example [3], my
> user page in a semantic media wiki with data from my domain.
>
> honestly, i don't really understand, why people, organizations (small or
> big) do NOT use linked data.

Because if what you describe exists, it utterly terrifying to the status
quo who like to use the allure of "fake openness" to lure the
inattentive down the next silo ridden technology cul-de-sac.

You've seen the light, so I urge you to continue spreading the world to
others. We must make simplicity our communication tool. There's nothing
wrong with value proposition narratives starting with DIY
(do-it-yourself) patterns that help folks understand the basic concepts.

Premature optimization (alternative to DIY) is eternally frustrating
when the goal at hand is initial introduction and comprehension of
concepts that underlie the vale being pitched.

Too much time has been spent, for the wrong reasons, giving folks the
impression that Linked Data is complex.

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Principles.html -- TimBL note about
Simplicity, Principle of Least Power etc..

Kingsley