 From: Members Fusepool <members@fusepool.net>
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Cc: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>; Work Team Fusepool <team@fusepool.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: Linked Data Business Models?

When reading through this list (not just this thread), where a naive observer would locate LOD's most vocal enthusiasts, I get the impression that LOD is in the midst of the Valley of Death. So before you sell your fortune, note that clever investors are just waiting for the Valley of Death to buy at lowest valuations...

More seriously: standardized, open, non-proprietary approaches for adding value to data will win because interoperable and interchangeable methods and parts significantly decrease the cost of production and the network effects of new adopters make these approaches increasingly more valuable to all. The question is not whether, but when (remember Keynes: in the long-term we're all dead).

As to the when, when is the right time, NEVER listen to the majority of existing customers when pursuing real innovations. In this (admittedly rare) case, existing customers are the millstone around your neck. They bother you with their reality, the status quo, and can get quite demanding. But the reality of today can never be the reality of the future, it never has been and it will never be that way.

As long-term observer of the Semantic Web world, I'm scratching my head because more than 10 years in the internet age ARE very long-term. So what's going on here? My impression is that the initial deep mismatch/mistrust of business and open advocates (remember when open-source was seen as something communist? ... remember Sun CEO O'Neilly?) has never been resolved really in the semweb world, which it definitely has in open-source software (oss).

So what went wrong? A single answer would not serve a complex problem but one reason why semweb  and oss developed differently regarding business impact may be that the former was too reliant on academic institutions and their funding, which made it possible to sustain a semweb world relatively independent from business requirements.

Anyway, what is needed now are real business or societal use cases that have a lasting impact, the ones that I read in the Sunday morning newspaper about as I do about oss.

So, let's drop the demo, and another demo, and yet another demo of cool or not-so-cool things and plan for real usage scenarios that offer a SOLUTION.

It's just a rainy Sunday afternoon...

Michael Kaschesky

All,