Re: Linked Data Demand & Discussion Culture on this List, WAS: Introducing Semgel, a semantic database app for gathering & analyzing data from websites

Hi,

Thank you all for your observations on Semgel. I was really delighted to
see Sebastian taking it upon himself to articulate in some detail about how
Semgel aligns with the Linked Data vision. Much appreciated!

Its also been great to see some of the interesting thoughts and pointers
that have been shared in this thread. I would like to offer  (albeit with
the risk of rehashing prior discussions in this group) clarifications and
observations on a few points .

- The need for LinkedData consuming apps publishing Linked data URI's
(Kingsley's suggestion that served as a trigger for this thread!)
- Balancing idealism(ie dogma) and pragmatism(ie market-driven) in
realizing the vision of the Semantic web. (amplifying Bergman & Giovanni)
- The need for robust Linked Data Usecases which can logically be shown to
be superior to other/traditional approaches (amplifying Sebastian)

-----------
*Linked-Data consuming apps should publish Linked-date URI's*

First off, I want to clarify that I considered Kingsley's queries and
suggestions to be perfectly reasonable and did not perceive them in any way
to be negative. I just happened to disagree with him about priorities. And
if the cut and thrust of argument can lead to a discussion like this, we
don't have much to complain about!

Getting back to the point, Semgel's involvement with linked-data is a
strategic decision - its a leap of faith. So, in no way am I trying to
debate whether there is market of linked-data - after investing a bunch of
time and effort, I and most of us in this group are well past that point!

However, we would like our tactical decisions to be market-driven. I saw
Kingsley's suggestion that linked-data consuming apps too should publish
LinkedData URI's as something that should be market-driven.

Somewhere in the thread, Kingsley elegantly articulated the technical
rationale for doing this

... "the application ingests structured data but emits HTML pages (reports)
where the actual data keys (URIs) for the data are now dislocated from the
value chain? If you consume Linked Data there's no reason to obscure access
to those data sources in a solution. There are a number of best practice
patterns for keeping URIs accessible and discoverable to user agents"

How could the geek in me not agree with this! However, wearing the business
hat, I need to silence the geek and recognize that this cannot be a
priority when we are still trying to firmly establish a basic ecosystem of
linked-data publishing and consuming apps.

Kingsley reached out to me privately (very gracious of him!) and indicated
there is indeed a business case for Semgel to do this. I intend to engage
with him with a open mind to better understand his point of view.

----------
*Balancing idealism and pragmatism in realizing the vision of the Semantic
web.*

Semweb has always had more than its fair share of idealism and dogma
associated with it. However, at the risk of stating the obvious, we do need
to balance it with a appropriate amount of pragmatism. We just don't want
to go down the path of becoming "architectural astronauts"! (
http://bit.ly/bFnrDG)

When Bergman speaks about seeing "linked data as a useful and often
desirable technique, but not a means" and Giovanni bemoans the fact that "
features are neglected because they do not fit with the pure original
visions" and insists that "The community must honestly assess where
semantic technologies don't fit and on the other hand which features of the
semantic web  "stack" make some sense and bring value to the scenarios that
have (bring)economic value", I could not agree more!

We want to focus on the value we deliver, not on how we deliver it. A user
of the Semgel app for instance is never made aware of its semweb roots -
although some of them do wonder why some simple ops are sometimes so very
slow :)

Given Semgel's focus on linked-data consumption in general and UI in
particular, we have primarily drawn our inspiration from the work done by
the MIT/Simile folks. What makes them stand out for me is their pragmatism.
Exhibit, Potluck, Parallax and Refine all have pioneered fundamental ideas
without necessarily embracing the full semweb stack. This is what we would
like to emulate

We also have the brilliant sig.ma from Sindice (which does explicitly
expose the underlying uri's) and I am very much looking forward to
exploring Martynas's graphity (discovered through this thread!)

----------
*The need for robust Linked Data Usecases*

Sebastian wondered 'if we could collect even a small set of convincing
business cases and describe what problems they are solving and how, and
also what problems they encountered, I think it would help many of us".

Again, I couldn't agree more.

When we describe Semgel's architecture to geeks (who have not consumed the
semweb koolaid!), they can't help but wonder why we have chosen to perform
such elaborate acrobatics to build what is on the surface a relatively
straight-forward app. Mashing up data? Why cannot that be accomplished with
a few lines of python code, they ask!

The fact is that the one usecase that semweb really shines at is when there
is a need to
- *integrate*
- *small*, but
- *diverse* datasets (as in schema diversity)
- in a *adhoc* manner (as oppossed to pre-determined).
- for *generic* analysis

This will only come into play when there is a mature, global, distributed
data landscape. The unfortunate fact is that its going to be while before
we see this.

So the big question is - what intermediate problems can we take on while we
wait for this data paradise to emerge. I suppose this is where we need to
act on Sebastian's suggestion and begin to catalog linked-data usecases
which we can logically and rigorously show are superior to traditional
approaches. (we are not looking for usecases which simply demo how the tech
works).   We really need to show how we can excel on the Variety dimension
of Big Data.

If there are such lists, please do share them. If there are none, I would
love to collaborate with some of you to put something together.

Thanks,
Harish
http://semgel.com

ps : did any of you really read this response in its entirety? :)