Re: position in cancer informatics

Perhaps Kaggle may also be relevant:

http://www.kaggle.com/

>From the website:

Participate in competitions

Kaggle is an arena where you can match your data science skills against
a global cadre of experts in statistics, mathematics, and machine
learning. Whether you're a world-class algorithm wizard competing for
prize money or a novice looking to learn from the best, here's your
chance to jump in and geek out, for fame, fortune, or fun.

Create a competition

Kaggle is a platform for data prediction competitions that allows
organizations to post their data and have it scrutinized by the world's
best data scientists. In exchange for a prize, winning competitors
provide the algorithms that beat all other methods of solving a data
crunching problem. Most data problems can be framed as a competition.

Jakub