Re: Introducing Semgel, a semantic database app for gathering & analyzing data from websites

Am 19.07.2012 um 20:50 schrieb Kingsley Idehen:

>> I completely understand and appreciate your desire (which I share) to see a mature landscape with a range of linked data sources. I can also understand how a database or spreadsheet can potentially offer fine-grained data access - your examples do illustrate the point very well indeed!
>>
>> However, if we want to build a sustainable business, the decision to build these features needs to be demand driven.
>
> I disagree.

> Note, I responded because I assumed this was a new Linked Data service. But it clearly isn't. Thus, I don't want to open up a debate about Linked Data virtues if you incorrectly assume they should be *demand driven*.
>
> Remember, this is the Linked Open Data (LOD) forum. We've long past the issue of *demand driven* over here, re. Linked Data.

But I agree. A technology that is not able to fire proof its usefulness in a demand driven / problem driven environment is maybe interesting from an academic standpoint but otherwise not really useful. And if you look at the recent troubles with Semantic Web business models you see the consequences.

You are not the only one in "the community", so please don't say "we've passed the issue". I'd say we have not even really started with the issue, we've just pushed some technology out there, not knowing yet whether it is really useful. On the other hand Harish is giving us one example of where at least part of the technology *might* be useful and I appreciate this very much. In general, I also prefer acting over talking. ;-)

Considering comments like yours, I really fear for the community to loose its openness and acceptance of differing opinions. I had already given up really following the discussions here for exactly that reason (and I am not the only one), but this message appeared on my phone before the mail client could sort it away and simply made me upset.

Greetings,

Sebastian