Re: Introducing Semgel, a semantic database app for gathering & analyzing data from websites

On 7/19/12 9:18 AM, Harish Kumar M. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to introduce Semgel (http://semgel.com), an web app that
> we are building for gathering and analyzing data from websites. The
> application is based on semweb technologies (rdf, owl, triple stores
> etc) and as such might of interest to this group.
>
> The core application is generic - it can consume any kind of rdf/owl
> data. However, to show case the technology, we dicided to pick one
> source (crunchbase) to demo the capabilities of the product.
>
> Semgel allows you to search crunchbase.com <http://crunchbase.com> for
> companies, investors and people and instantly create databases by
> grabbing one or more of these entities. Grabbing corresponds to adding
> all the data present on the crunchbase page for that entity into the
> database.
>
> Users can then explore and analyze this data in a intuitive manner. We
> support filtering, drilling (parallax style), visualization and even
> simple expressions. We have tried to innovate and make the most the
> fact that we have a graph-model backing all of this instead of the
> traditional relational-model.
>
> Do take a look at the app. I would be delighted if you can offer us
> any kind of feedback on the application. I would also be very happy to
> hear from you if you see a opportunity to partner with us in this context.
>
> Thanks,
> Harish
>
> *Links*
> site : http://semgel.com
> videos & documentation : http://semgel.com/help.jsp
> quick start : http://semgel.com/data/segment/sg11100-product-search
> - scroll down and click on "Analyze Now" to get started straight away.

Nice visualization .

A few questions:

1. do you expose Linked Data or is this an service that using Linked
Data processing as part of an HTML page/report product pipeline?
2. If you do expose Linked Data, how do I discover the Linked Data URIs
for the entities that constitute your Linked Data space?

Here is an example of what I am seeking re., the questions above, using
Facebook:

1. http://www.crunchbase.com/company/facebook -- crunchbase URL
2.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/id/http/www.crunchbase.com/company/facebook
-- URI for document about Facebook
3.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/id/entity/http/www.crunchbase.com/company/facebook
-- URI for Entity: 'Facebook'
4. http://bit.ly/Pm2ALV -- a faceted browser pages providing an
alternative document that describes the entity 'Facebook'
5. http://bit.ly/Pm3590 -- URI Debugger page that shows how <head/> +
<link/> and/or HTTP response header aid URI discovery.

I am not posting to knock your effort, the visualization you deliver is
very nice and useful. I just want to encourage you to publish linked
data (if not doing so already) in a manner that makes discovery easy for
other Linked Data oriented users and user agents. Once in place,  your
contributions simply enhance (by contributions that increase link
density) follow-your-nose navigation across the burgeoning Web of Linked
Data.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com