Re: How do OBO ontologies work on the LOD?

Hi Alan,

I am not against OBO.

I am against people giving the impression that if it is an OBO ontology, it
will work as expected by the LOD community.

The basics are pretty simple. If you use a URI it should behave in a
predictable way. (Vapour Validator)

OBO does not do this in the expected LOD way. This is fine as long as
people don't give others the impression that it does.

I suspect there is a way for OBO to do this without some special "OBO" rule
like their would have been with LSID's

By this I mean each service has to support special logic that recognizes an
OBO URI and handles it differently from all other URI's.

In a sense the http://purl.obolibrary.org/ service creates a URL mapping
not unlike what I proposed earlier.

The problem is that even those mapped URI's do not work in the expected LOD
way.

This is the distinction that I am calling attention to.

At this point in time it appears to be both a real difference and a
significant difference.

Is this the only theoretical way to handle URI's?

No, but if you intent is to create URI's for the LOD then they should
behave in the expected LOD way.

OBO seems to have all sorts of rules on how OBO ontologies should work, why
can't the OBO people respect the LOD best practices when they are in LOD
space?

Or at least admit that there are differences in the way URI's are handled?

Respectfully,

- Pete