Re: PURLs don't matter, at least in the LOD world

On 17 Feb 2012, at 19:18, David Booth wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 18:48 +0000, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>> What happens if I have http://purl.org/dbpedia/Tokyo, which is set to
>> go to http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tokyo?
>> I have (a), (b) and (c) as before.
>> Now if dbpedia.org goes Phut!, we are in exactly the same situation -
>> (b) gets lost.
>
> No, the idea is that the administrator for http://purl.org/dbpedia/
> updates the redirect, to point to whatever new site is hosting the
> dbpedia data, so the http://purl.org/dbpedia/Tokyo still works.
Thanks David.
But someone has to persuade the administrator to do that.
If the owner of http://purl.org/dbpedia/ and dbpedia.org is co-operative, then all is good.
But then it is a similar challenge to provide a redirect at dbpedia.org or re-assign the dbpedia.org domain, so not much gain there.
And this is the situation that big organisations will usually be in, in relation to their own URIs.
If the owner is not co-operative, then I am guessing (sorry, I can't find it in the documentation) that it is quite a challenge to get the administrator to re-assign a PURL domain to someone else.
But of course it is quite a challenge to get a domain registrar to move a domain registration - I am sure it is actually harder, so some gain.

But overall, I still can't really see the effort is worth the candle, certainly for big organisations that have expectation of longevity.
Best
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser,