Re: referencing a concept scheme as the code list of some referrer's property

Hi Thomas, all,

I disagree with you on the fact that sub-classing skos:Concept would solve all representation needs. There is data to be asserted at the concept scheme-level, which would be inappropriately captured when being directly attached to a class of concepts. E.g., the creator of a concept scheme or the rights attached to it. These will stick very badly a class in an OWL ontology that represent the concept scheme. At least (OWL) class and annotation properties are created usually.

Also, concepts are not "instances of a concept schemes". It is really stretching the way concepts and vocabularies are viewed in the domain, as already mentioned by others. Plus, doing this would also break the fundamentally good pattern followed by SKOS: SKOS data can entirely remain at the instance level (in OWL terms). When one ports a thesaurus on the Semantic Web, one doesn't want to be forced to use RDFS/OWL features in the data published.

Of course SKOS resources can be used to create OWL ontologies. But I think it's better that this remains the business of an ontology creator (the guy creating the property that admit values from a given concept scheme) and not the business of a KOS publisher.

So yes I really dislike using some:codeA and some:codeB as Simon does in [1]. I mean, having them is not bad, but having no concept scheme that bothers me.
I would really prefer the approach that consists of (OWL) defining some:codeAConcept
as
  some:codeAConcept owl:equivalentClass  [
        owl:intersectionOf  ( skos:Concept
                              [ rdf:type            owl:Restriction ;
                                owl:onProperty      skos:inScheme ;
                                owl:someValuesFrom  [ owl:oneOf  ( some:codeAConceptScheme )]  ]
                            )
      ] .
and then you use some:codeAConcept as the range of your my:property1 and keep some:codeAScheme carrying its scheme-level data.

Or in fact, if you hate redundancy, you can create straight away your new property as:
my:property1 rdfs:range [
        owl:intersectionOf  ( skos:Concept
                              [ rdf:type            owl:Restriction ;
                                owl:onProperty      skos:inScheme ;
                                owl:someValuesFrom  [ owl:oneOf  ( some:codeAConceptScheme )]  ]
                            )
      ] .

I understand you may want a construct to directly relate a property to a concept scheme to constrain its values. But then it is really about adding some new (meta-modelling) feature which was not identified in the SKOS requirements. And as said in my previous mail, for now I'd rather leave it to initiatives (like DC) which address data modelling at a deeper level.
And in fact such feature would still be a shorthand for something that is possible using OWL out-of-the-box.

Best,

Antoine

PS: by the way, I also disagree on merging (license or more generally any kind of provenance) data on the (voiD) dataset and data on a ConceptScheme, as hinted in [2]. In the past a project I've worked for has created a version of the RAMEAU vocabulary, based on a snapshot from the official version [4]. I think it was a good thing that people could make the difference between the real vocabulary and the prototype dataset we had created. In other terms, keeping distinct the thing that is represented from the dataset that represents it -- another good pattern to follow, I think!

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2012Aug/0060.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2012Aug/0063.html
[3] http://stitch.cs.vu.nl/rameau
[4] http://rameau.bnf.fr