Re: Question on "moving" linked data sets

On 4/19/12 10:23 AM, Antoine Isaac wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have a question on an what to do when a linked data set is "moved"
> from one namespace to the other. We searched for recipes to apply, but
> did not really find anything 'official'  around...
>
> The VU university of Amsterdam has published a Linked Data SKOS
> representation of RAMEAU [1] as a prototype, several years ago. For
> example we have
> http://stitch.cs.vu.nl/vocabularies/rameau/ark:/12148/cb14521343b
>
> Recently, BnF implemented its own production service for RAMEAU. The
> previous concept is at:
> http://data.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb14521343b
> (see RDF at http://data.bnf.fr/14521343/web_semantique/rdf.xml)
>
> The production services makes the prototype obsolete. Our issue is how
> to properly "transition" from one to the other. Several services are
> using the URIs of the prototype. For example at the Library of Congress:
> http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh2002000569
>
> We can ask for the people we know to change their links. But
> identifying the users of URIs seems too manual, error-prone a process.
> And of course in general we do not want links to be broken.
>
> Currently we have done the following:
>
> - a 301 "moved permanently" redirection from the
> stitch.cs.vu.nl/rameau prototype to data.bnf.fr.
>
> - an owl:sameAs statement between the prototype URIs and the
> production ones, so that a client searching for data on the old URI
> gets data that enables it to make the connection with the original
> resource (URI) it was seeking data about.
>
> Does that seem ok? What should we do, otherwise?
>
> Thanks for any feedback you could have,
>
> Antoine Isaac (VU Amsterdam side)
> Romain Wenz (BnF side)
>
> [1] RAMEAU is a vocabulary (thesaurus) used by the National Library of
> France (BnF) for describing books.

Forgot to paste this into my prior response .

Here's why its OK:

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.bnf.fr%2Fark%3A%2F12148%2Fcb14521343b
-- new URI

2.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstitch.cs.vu.nl%2Fvocabularies%2Frameau%2Fark%3A%2F12148%2Fcb14521343b
-- old (prototype) URI

3.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.bnf.fr%2Fark%3A%2F12148%2Fcb14521343b&sas=yes
-- new URI and effects of enabling owl:sameAs inference .

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen