Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 4/4/12 5:48 AM, Michael Smethurst wrote:
> Over recent days this list seems to have settled on something like: if you
> can get a "reasonable" representation it's content; if you can't it's
> description. For some definition of reasonable
>
> Taking 2 uris from dbpedia:
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Fox_News_Channel  is an organisation /
> corporation / tv channel. It's easyish to argue you can't get a reasonable
> response that isn't just a description
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Fox_News_Channel_controversies  is (in wikipedia
> terms) an overspill article. It could be a skos type concept I guess but
> it's more of a compound concept (a sentence). No matter what http evolves
> into, I can't think of a more reasonable response to that than a list of
> controversies involving fox news. What's the 303 doing in that case?
>
> It's made more confusing because the statements you get back from
> Fox_News_Channel_controversies are more or less identical to the statements
> you get back from Fox_News_Channel because the infoboxes on both wikipedia
> pages are more or less the same. So dbpedia says fox news controversies is
> an entity of type broadcaster and has a broadcastArea, a firstAirDate, a
> headquarter, an owningCompany, a pictureFormat etc
>
> Yours (in confusion)
> Michael

Michael,

DBpedia is but one of many data sources accessible via the burgeoning
Web of Linked Data. The relations in DBpedia are not always accurate per
se., they typically provide a commencement point for additional
finessing by subject matter experts. For instance, you can apply YAGO
[1] context to DBpedia data en route to enhanced relations [2][3] that
provide better descriptions for a given entity.

The emergence of the "Data Wiki" via projects such as OntoWiki [4] and
Wikidata [5] will ultimately help everyone understand that Linked Data
isn't a read-only affair where relations are implicitly canonical, and
cast in stone :-)

Links:

1. http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/yago-naga/yago/ -- YAGO

2.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FFox_News_Channel_controversies
-- a description from the LOD cloud cache we maintain (note: the "Type"
drop-down and the entries it exposes courtesy of YAGO)

3.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyago-knowledge.org%2Fresource%2FFox_News_Channel_controversies
-- YAGO description of the same DBpedia entity

4. http://ontowiki.net/Projects/OntoWiki -- OntoWiki

5. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata -- WikiData.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software