Re: NIR SIDETRACK Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

Hello Jonathan,

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 05:05:10PM +0200, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
> > Hmm... so from a 200 statuscode and HR14, I can conclude that I have
> > a representation of it, that is is an IR and therefor has a representation
> > that conveys the essential characteristics of it (definition of IR at
> > http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/uddp-20120229/), but not that the
> > representation I got actually is a representation that conveys the essential
> > characteristics of it ?
>
> Well not necessarily. The problem is that 'representation' has at
> least three different meanings in these discussions. There's (1) the
> REST / AWWW glossary / HTTPbis definition, the record of the state of
> something, which I take to mean that descriptions, as well as
> depictions, content, etc. are representations. There's (2) the usage
> where it means expression or encoding of information, similar to what
> I call "instance" or TimBL calls "content", which would be a special
> case of (1). (2) shows up in RFC 2616 and in parts of AWWW. Then
> there's 'representation' as (3) whatever you get in a 200 response,
> what I call "nominal representation". (1)=(3) if the manner of
> 'representing' can be idiosyncratic to each resource. So you have to
> be careful which sense you mean. Most of the specs are pretty murky on
> this, and that's part, maybe most, of the reason why the conversation
> is so incredibly painful.

I meant 2) but that is not relevant because if you take what is written in
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/uddp-20120229/ as granted, my statement not
only holds for the special case 2), but also for the general case 1).

I thought "current representation of" in
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/uddp-20120229/ refers to something more like
2) and definitely not to mere descriptions but when I look at it there seems
to be nothing to back this.

But whatever "representation" means exactly, I would rephrase the sentence

 that the identified resource is an "information resource" (see below).

in http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/uddp-20120229/ to

 that the identified resource has a representation that conveys it's
 essential characteristics (see below).

This makes it clearer what conclusions you cannot draw and avoids the term
"information resource" in the important sentence while basically saying the
same.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--