Zhishi.me

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:41:06 +0200
Unfortunately, the ISWC2011 web site is currently down but, I presume, it will be up again soon. Worth looking at:

http://iswc2011.semanticweb.org/fileadmin/iswc/Papers/In-Use/70320209.pdf

In short: Xing Niu et al, from APEX lab Shanghai and Southeast University, created a Chines equivalent to DBPedia, combining the Chinese Wikipedia, and two Chinese only on-line and community driven encyclopedia, namely Baidu Baike and Hudong Baike. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but the combined result, under the name of Zhishi.me, is of the same magnitude in size than dbpedia. Just like dbpedia acted as a seed for the LOD, the idea is that zhishi.me will act as a seed to pull in more linked data from China.

Although the paper talks about a CLOD, for Chinese Linked Open Data, I would hope and prefer that the CLOD and the LOD will not be different clouds but rather one big cloud regardless of language. But I am sure it will be a major addition to the LOD...

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153