Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 09:17 -0400, Jonathan Rees wrote:
[ . . . ]
> There's a different question that I skipped over because it seems
> unrelated, which is whether you need different URIs for different
> things.

+1

> I'm not certain how to answer that. This is an
> interoperability issue. If a URI U refers to two documents A and B,
> and I say <U> has title "Right", which document am I referring to, A
> or B? That is, which has that title? (or author, etc.) Either you
> don't care, in which case there's no reason to say it, or you care, in
> which case you have to invent some additional signal to communicate
> the distinction.

Right, though I would call it an application issue rather than an
interoperability issue, because whether or not it is important to
distinguish the two depends entirely on the application.
Ambiguity/unambiguity should not be viewed as an absolute, but as
*relative* to a particular application or class of applications: a URI
that is completely unambiguous to one application may be hopelessly
ambiguous to a different application that requires finer distinctions.
See "Resource Identity and Semantic Extensions: Making Sense of
Ambiguity"
http://dbooth.org/2010/ambiguity/paper.html

> The question of how many URIs you need has almost nothing to do with
> httpRange-14. It would arise no matter how you ended up choosing
> between direct vs. indirect.

+1.  With or without httpRange-14, there will always be URIs that are
unambiguous to some applications and ambiguous to others.  This is the
inescapable consequence of the fact that, for the most part, it is
impossible to define anything completely unambiguously -- a principle
well discussed and established in philosophy.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/

reflect those of his employer.