Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org> wrote:
> How could an S2 assuming client, assume that the
>> data is actually about another resource?
>
> By observing D2

Sorry, I'm speaking nonsense. The point is, that if you assume S2 or
or you assume D2, you'll know (or you'll think you know) what is being
talked about. But you'll get different answers in the two situations.

If D2 (direct reference) is assumed uniformly - no problem.
If S2 (indirect) is assumed - no problem.
If sometimes one and sometimes the other - chaos if there is no
consensus rule that clearly says when one and when the other.

httpRange-14 is just one such possible rule, and it shares with the
other candidate rules the benefit of being a rule.

Jonathan