RE: Address Bar URI

I'm not a massive fan of the 303 but I do think some of the inconvenience problems go away (at least for consumers and publishers, if not for source developers) if you separate out the 303 nir uri > generic ir uri (which is not content negotiation) from the generic ir uri > ir representations (which is)

see mails passim :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rees [mailto:jar@creativecommons.org]
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 6:27 PM
To: Michael Smethurst
Cc: Kingsley Idehen; public-lod@w3.org
Subject: Re: Address Bar URI

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Michael Smethurst
<Michael.Smethurst@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't seem to be doing a such good job at lurking but I'd thought the
> current argument against fragment ids was you always get a 200 (so long as
> the information resource they hang off exists). So:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006m86d#teddybearsandtrainsets
>
> returns a 200 but that programme has nothing to say about teddy bears and
> train sets

Thanks - I had actually heard this one before but it wasn't on my
list. I'll add it.

I'm still having a hard time being persuaded by this - i.e. the
inconvenience of poor misspelling detection outweighing the
inconvenience of the 303 redirect. I don't deny that this is real, but
I still feel I'm being asked to accept the seriousness of the problem
on faith.. (Again, this could be mitigated in Javascript, if it were a
serious issue.) Is this really the reason that so many people have
decided against hash? Surely I'm missing something else...

Jonathan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/