Re: Address Bar URI

On 10/18/11 10:56 AM, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>> But if we do want linked data to be adopted more generally and not confined
>> >  to the lab then we do need publishing guidelines that work for<normal>
>> >  sites and<normal>  users. I think that means following the patterns of
>> >  data.gov.uk and the rest is developer education?!?
> Probably.
>
> [Personally I think we'd be better off without the IR/NIR distinction,
> failing that stick to fragids for NIRs. But I see no value in going
> round the block on those arguments yet again!]
>
> Dave

Dave / Michael (there's are response to you further down),

+1

Trouble is we will loop this block, endlessly, while the fundamental
concept of Linked Data remains maligned by poor narratives and anecdotal
material that don't reconcile with views and parlance outside the Linked
Open Data and Semantic Web communities e.g., much broader realm of
computer science and history.

This tendency to pitch Linked Data as a new invention is broken. It's an
innovation that leverages URI abstraction and the ubiquity of the WWW.

I am hoping you now see why I posed the question (way back) re. common
understanding of URIs and URLs.

1. URIs -- Names
2. URLs -- Location Names (Addresses)
3. Data Representation -- what access directly via an Address or
indirectly via a generic Name.

Linked Data (an application of AWWW) shouldn't be a test that's only
passable via memorization and mantra-like recitals. It should be a
concept that's firmly comprehensible and explainable -- in a myriad of
ways -- to a vast variety of audiences.

Michael:
There's virtue in your suggestion (that for me) gets lost due to the use
of NIR/IR terminology, compounded by your throwing me for a loop re.
buzzwords accusations etc. :-)

Basically, I do agree with the use of a generic address as a target for
content negotiation re. access to actual data (objects/resources). This
(as you spotted) occurs via the DBpedia pattern: /data/ , as of time of
writing this mail. I think /about/ would be a nice enhancement (by way
of alias) that also offers a segue to (X)HTML+RDFa, HTML5+Microformat,
and other data representation formats via content negotiation.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen