Re: Address Bar URI

On 10/18/11 11:20 AM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> Wow, this is new information for me that the redirect-to-hash issue
> would bear on this question, so this is interesting.
>
> However I must be dense since I don't see how it applies. The scenario
> I'm talking about is: I want an RDF URI for something. I mint a URI
> A#it, publish a document at A explaining what A#it means, and I think
> I'm done. Then something really bad happens, and I attribute the
> evilness to the use of hash, and I swear off ever using hash again.
> Luckily there is 303 as a backup, and I'm willing to pay the extra
> round trip overhead to avoid the hash badness, since the badness is so
> bad.
>
> I know about Dublin Core's use of redirect-to-hash, but it's being
> used to implement hashless URIs, not hash URIs. My question is why the
> need to use hashless URIs for this use is felt in the first place. (In
> DC's case it was legacy, but few people on this list are dealing with
> pre-2005 URIs.)
>
> What is the "really bad" thing that happened? (And what could it
> possibly have to do with redirects?)

The issue was, at the time, choosing a URI style for DBpedia that would
work with all browsers, including IE 6. Hash URIs would have been
problematic since the # crossed the wire. DBpedia modulo IE wasn't an
option. The goal was to deliver a Linked Data showcase that worked with
all browsers starting with IE 6.

I believe the your quests was about a case for 303's. Which is basically
another way of seeking a case for slash terminated URIs re. Linked Data
deployment.

Kingsley

> Thanks
> Jonathan
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>> On 10/18/11 7:54 AM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>>> Can someone remind me why people are using 303 at all, as opposed to
>>> hash URIs in the #_ or #it pattern?
>>>
>>> I've been trying to make a compelling case for 303 over hash, without
>>> much success.
>>>
>>> What would be most valuable is war stories, especially ones that
>>> answer questions that have been left unanswered in the previous thread
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Sep/0003.html and in
>>> the writeup http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/issue57/latest/#hash
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Jonathan
>>>

>> I think that had a lot to do with IE and the desire to boostrap Linked Data
>> in a manner that worked across all browsers.
>>
>> Links:
>>
>> 1.
>> http://jamespreston.co.uk/Articles/RedirectingIE6ToUrlWithFragmentIdentifier.html
>> -- here is a 2007 post about the problem
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen
>> President&    CEO